Lo que el alma hace por su cuerpo es lo que el artista hace por su pueblo.
Tell me whom you haunt and I’ll tell you who you are.
"you make my heart beat in iambic pentameter."
no you don’t understand shakespeare literally writes to the beat of your heart
that’s why shakespearean actors will sometimes pound their chests in time to the words during readings
that’s why you use fluctuations…
Being a woman is a terribly difficult task, since it consists principally in dealing with men.
He stepped down, avoiding any long look at her as one avoids long looks at the sun, but seeing her as one sees the sun, without looking.
A rainy day reading list
1. Atonement by Ian McEwan
2. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
3. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
4. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
6. The Hound of Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
8. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
9. Home Cooking by Laurie Colwin
10. Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner
Talking to people makes me feel like sleeping. Only my ghostly and imaginary friends, only the conversations I have in my dreams, are genuinely real and substantial.
-Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet
I am the poet of the body.
And I am the poet of the soul.
-Walt Whitman, from section 21 of “Song of Myself” in Leaves of Grass (1855 edition,) from The Oxford Book of American Poetry, ed. David Lehman (Oxford University Press, 2006)
Vanity, self-forgetfulness for some days.